Arabic-L:PEDA:Translation Text Suggestion

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Tue May 17 21:28:01 UTC 2005

1) Subject:Translation Text Suggestion

Date: 17 May  2005
From:jmurg at ttlc.net
Subject:Translation Text Suggestion

Although it's not Arabic-specific, the following is an excellent
textbook
for translation between Arabic and English:
Mildred Larson
_Meaning-Based Translation; A Guide to Cross-Language Equivalence_
University Press of America
Lanham
[mine is 2nd ed.]

I like it because it's intended for general use, is aimed especially at
translation between very dissimilar languages, and emphasizes
"translating
meaning, not words," i.e., using different structures appropriate for
the
target language, rather than the more mechanical and literal approach
that
many novice translators are prone to use.

There are some other textbooks that are Arabic-specific, but I
haven't used
them yet (Basil Hatem's, among others). I'd be interested in hearing
about
the experience of colleagues with them.

-- Jackie Murgida