Arabic-L:GEN:Mellel Help

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Tue May 17 21:27:49 UTC 2005

1) Subject:Mellel Help

Date: 17 May  2005
From:moderator
Subject:Mellel Help

I asked Fatima Baroudi to send me the questions she asked Redlers and
their response for those who are working with Mellel.  Here they are:

> Dear Ori,
>
> Thank you fir your willingness to spend some time explaining to me
> how to handle a few issues with Mellel.  I always struggle to get
> my Arabic materials done fro my class.
>
> My first trouble is with typing simultaneouslyky in Arabic and
> English.  What happens is when I start typing in Arabic and then
> choose the English language with the right font, whatever I am
> typing moves position or layout. I also cannot use properly the
> period and colon unless I put a comma after, otherwise the period
> will appear in the begining of the line.
>
> My second problem is inserting pictures from clipart.  That seems
> impossible.
>
> My third difficulty is udnerlyning or using other options such as
> bullets and numbers
>
> My last issue, hopefully,  is with the use of columns.  For
> example, if I want to type two different columns let's say to show
> students the singular and plural of a noun, it is not possible
>
>  Shukran Jazeelan.  Fatima

Dear Fatima,

I'll try to answer all your questions in order:

A. When typing a mixed text, e.g., English and Arabic, the
directionality button in the toolbar determine the direction of the
text. If you press it, the text will be in the right direction. For
example, for text which is mostly in Arabic with a few words in
English, it should point to the left (indicating that the text goes
from right to left), and vice versa. Pressing this button will make
your text run correctly from right to left or left to right with the
colon and point in the right place.

B. Pictures from clipart and other sources should be OK with Mellel.
Still, some clipart from MS Word cause trouble because they don't use
a picture format Mac OS X understands. Try to choose Insert >
Image... to insert the clipart.

C. To create an underline, select the text and press Cmd+U or select
Line > Under from the Character appearance palette. For bulletes and
lists: open the List palette and use the buttons to create lists,
numbered and otherwise.

D. I think that for giving examples or the singular, plural, etc.
forms what you'll need is tables, not columns, because columns run
"snake like" and are not fit for comparing things "side-by-side".

Best regards,

Ori Redler