Arabic-L:GEN:Changing Arabic Keyboards on Mac OS X Responses

Fri Nov 18 17:18:23 UTC 2005

1) Subject:Changing Arabic Keyboards on Mac OS X Response
2) Subject:Changing Arabic Keyboards on Mac OS X Response

Date: 18 Nov 2005
From:Dil Parkinson <dil at byu.edu>
Subject:Changing Arabic Keyboards on Mac OS X Response

It is a fairly straightforward thing to create a new keyboard layout
for Mac OS X.  Once it is created, you simply put it in the Keyboard
Layout folder of the Library folder, then log in and log out, and it
is available as one of the input keyboards on the international pane
of system preferences.  I have created several alternative Arabic
keyboards for a variety of purposes.  Depending how 'techie' you are,
you could 1) either go to:

http://wordherd.com/keyboards/

which shows you how to design a keyboard yourself, and then creates
the required xml file for you; or 2) at the same site you could
create the xml file of a normal keyboard, and in examining the
resulting file figure out what you need to replace to get your
keyboard in the right order; or 3) go to:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=ukelele

and download the freeware program Ukelele.  This is a GUI utility
that lets you start with any already available keyboard (say the
Arabic one) and then use the character pallette to drag and drop the
characters you want into their proper places.  It is very easy to
use, and if you are careful, you can have the keyboard of your
dreams.  Once the file is created and you have placed it in the
Library/Keyboard Layouts folder (and have logged in and out), go to
the international pane, choose Input Menu, find the keyboard you just
created, and select it.  It will then be available under the American
Flag menu, and you can easily switch to it using command-spacebar.

I created a 'transliteration' keyboard with this method that allows
me to type Arabic more or less like I type English, thus saving
myself the trouble of having to learn an Arabic keyboard at all.