Arabic-L:LING:Naming Practices Response

Fri Nov 18 17:18:26 UTC 2005

1) Subject:Naming Practices Response

Date: 18 Nov 2005
From:shilmi at gmu.edu
Subject:Naming Practices Response

found the first reply (from Mr. Mughazy) very interesting.  I
personally have a dual name; it is also Dala' which is loving and
spoiling your kids.
Now, with me I got ill the day I was named, so some suggested
changing my name. My father refused, my mother gave me the second
name. Most of my cousins don't know my real name; but at work and
other formal environment, I use my real name.
There is also kunyya where we put (Abu, Umm, Ibn and Ibna) before the
name.  For example, Abu Ahmed, and Ahmed is suppose to be the first
child of that person. Older generations used to call their first
child a male-name so that it would sound as if the first one is a
boy.  The fact is, the Arabic language and the culture support that.
In Iraq, for example, Safaa', Sabah and Ilhaam, all don't have taa'
marbuta, are male-names, which is not the case in many other Arabic
countries.

Sana Hilmi
George Mason University

End of Arabic-L:  18 Nov 2005