Arabic-L:GEN:Needs help identifying coin

Mon Oct 24 20:52:24 UTC 2005

1) Subject:Needs help identifying coin

Date: 24 Oct 2005
From:betwys1 at sbcglobal dot net
Subject:Needs help identifying coin

[if you can help identify this coin, please contact Mr. Zimoski
directly.  I looked at it and guessed that it might be Urdu, but
actually have no idea--moderator]

A library patron brought in what he thinks is a foreign coin, although
we saw nothing we recognized as a number on either side. I neglected to
measure it but it is large, maybe 2.5 to 3 inches in diameter and
gold-colored. The figure on the front of the piece may be Khnoum.

He looked through the sections for Arabic-speaking countries in the 2005
Standard Catalog of World Coins but did not find a picture of what he
has. Please note that we're not sure this is a coin or that the text on
it is Arabic.

We're trying to identify this piece. Any information or suggestions you
might have will be appreciated.  I photocopied the coin and scanned the
images, which are still kind of big.  You can see this text and the
images at:
  <http://www.fresnolibrary.org/ref/refqs/coin.html>

As always, thanks for your attention.

Tom Zimoski
Reference Dept/Fresno County Library"

I would be glad for news of this text at
betwys1 at sbcglobal dot net