Arabic-L:LING:'r' pronunciation

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at BYU.EDU
Wed Aug 2 23:27:04 UTC 2006

1) Subject:'r' pronunciation
2) Subject:'r' pronunciation

Date: 02 Aug 2006
From:dstewar at learnlink.emory.edu
Subject:'r' pronunciation

The pronunciation of r in Fez, Morocco that several contributors have
noted--it
is also found in the old, urban dialects of several cities in the
North of
Morocco, like Tangiers, Tetouan--is not a speech defect, but neither
is it a
-w- as has been implied.  It sounds nearly like the American English -
r-.

The other cases, found throughout the Arab world, usually involve the
pronunciation of -r- as gh, less commonly as -w- -y- or -l- as has
been noted.
Similar phenomena occur in all languages with trilled r's, like
italian and
Spanish.  A certain portion of the population is physically unable to
produce
the trilled -r-; I don't agree with the contributor who suggested
that this can
be fixed by a speech pathologist.  the classical term for it is
althagh [fi
'r-ra']; this becomes aldagh, fem. ladgha in Egyptian and perhaps other
dialects.  It is actually the default meaning, I believe, of aldagh--
that is,
if one does not specify the letter affected by being aldagh, the
assumption is
that it is ra', and not sin.  The most famous althagh in history was
of course
Wasil b. `Ata', the eighth-century founder of the Mu`tazili school
theology,
who was famously asked to repeat the statement: amara amiiru l-
umaraa' bi-Hafri
bi'rin fi S-SaHraa' yashrabu minha l-waaridu wa'S-Saadir, which he
did, but
paraphrasing it so as to avoid any word with the letter -r-.   Many
people know
this phrase from highschool in the Arab world, but don't knoow that
it is
attributed to WaaSil.

Best wishes,

Devin Stewart, Winship Distinguished Research Professor of Arabic and
Islamic
Studies
Department of Middle Eastern and South Asian Studies
Emory University
Atlanta, GA 30322
(404) 727-4625 ; fax (404) 727-2133