Arabic-L:LING:Wants electronic dictionary recommendations

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at BYU.EDU
Wed Aug 2 23:26:56 UTC 2006

1) Subject:Wants electronic dictionary recommendations

Date: 02 Aug 2006
From:Bill Cathey <b.cathey at yahoo.com>
Subject:Wants electronic dictionary recommendations

Hello,
Could anyone offer any advice or recommendations on choosing an
Arabic <> English bilingual electronic dictionary (a handheld device,
not a Web site)? I have no trouble finding the devices on commercial
Web sites, but I would like to know what devices are considered best
by professionals. Any specific recommendations you could offer or
sources where I might find noncommercial reviews or recommendations
would be much appreciated.

I've seen one advertised called, Al-Mawrid Talking Dictionary
BAS-1875, which is described on one commercial Web site as: "the
official authorized Arabic/English dictionary in the United Nations,
and is aimed at Arabic speakers who wish to communicate in the
English language." Is it also a good one for English speakers
learning Arabic?