Arabic-L:GEN:ALS at BYU?

Mon Aug 7 14:53:00 UTC 2006

1) Subject:ALS at BYU?
2) Subject:Arabic-L at BYU?
3) Subject:Seriously

Date: 07 Aug 2006
From:Uri Horesh <urih at babel.ling.upenn.edu>
Subject:ALS at BYU?

To follow up on my "query" on lesbians and gays at ALS at Brigham
Young University:

The real question is not whether people as individuals feel welcome
or not. The fundamental problem is that our professional organization
is scheduled to hold its annual meeting at an institution that
blatantly excludes certain members of society from membership.

I am certain beyond doubt that ALS would never hold a conference in
an institution that does not admit (let alone one that expels once
admitted) African-Americans, Jews, Muslims, women, Catholics, people
who are physically challenged, to name but a few groups
discrimination against whom is intolerable in our society.

Lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgenders are no different.
Discrimination against us is as contradictory to our core notions of
academic freedom, civil liberties and basic human rights as are anti-
Semitism, misogyny and xenophobia.

I call upon the officers and membership of ALS to immediately declare
that institutions with an anti-LGBT policy and practice are unfit for
hosting any of our membership-wide functions, and to actively seek an
alternative venue for the 2007 Symposium.

Sincerely,
Uri Horesh
University of Pennsylvania and Georgetown University