Arabic-L:GEN:Electronic Dictionaries Response

Tue Aug 8 15:11:11 UTC 2006

1) Subject:Electronic Dictionaries Response

Date: 08 Aug 2006
From:Vrsan Lestaric <fursan at EUnet.yu>
Subject:Electronic Dictionaries Response

I don't know about a good electronic dictionary but I do own one
which is not so good - ATLAS SD700, PC2000 (with a CD and a cable
enabling you to transfer data you entered into your personal
dictionary to the computer; works with Windows 98/2000/Me/XP;
www.atlassite.com). I bought it a few years ago in Damascus for
around 250$.

It isn't altogether useless, you can find a word (you may not) but
you cannot be sure that the meaning is accurate. It often isn't, as
I've found out soon enough when I compared the meanings to Wehr. It
is also intended primarily for Arab students learning English.
Contains additional information as - most common words in English,
medical info, common knowledge, invention and inventors, Arabic male
and female names etc. It also has an organizer. Sounds nice, but it
simply isn't reliable. Conclusion, I don't recommend it.

But if there were an electronic edition of Hans Wehr... be it as a
computer program and/or as a part of an electronic dictionary
software, that would be awesome! To speak the truth, the need for an
electronic Wehr (or some other reliable Arabic-English dictionary,
but none is like Wehr) is huge and I'm surprised that I've never
heard of it.

Vrsan Lestaric