Arabic-L:GEN:more encoding problems

Tue Aug 8 15:11:05 UTC 2006

1) Subject:more encoding problems

Date: 08 Aug 2006
From:John Meredith <johnmeredith at comcast.net>
Subject:more encoding problems

I am using Internet Explorer to query for books on grammar written in
arabic
in the Hollis catalog at Harvard.

I see the results with horizontal bars above letters for natural madd
and
dots below for the heavy letters in transliteration.

However, when I send the results to my email address which uses MS
Outlook
2000 on my computer, the characters with bars appear as question
marks and
the characters with dots appear as boxes when I select the default
setting
of UTF-8 in the Hollis email page .  When I select the only other
option,
which is ISO 8859-1, the letters with dots appear correctly but the
doubling
of the vowel indicated by the horizontal bar appears as a single
vowel. Also
the ' to indicate ayn disappears.