Arabic-L:LING:query on grammar conceptualization (Arab vs. European)

Wed Aug 9 19:05:17 UTC 2006

1) Subject:query on grammar conceptualization (Arab vs. European)

Date: 01 Aug 2006
From:"Uhlmann, Allon" <uhlmanna at umsl.edu>
Subject:query on grammar conceptualization (Arab vs. European)

Hi Everyone,

A couple of questions:

1.  Do you know of any references that systematically compare the way
Arabic grammar has been conceptualised and taught in the Arab world,
vs the  way it has been conceptualised and taught in Europe?

2.  In his intro to "A Grammar of the Arabic Language" Wright
mentions Lumsden's 1813 work (A Grammar of the Arabic Language) as
one of his major sources, but proceeds to write that it "is based on
the system of the Arab Grammarians, and therefore but ill-adapted,
apart from its bulk and rarity, for the use of beginners."  (pp v-
vi).  I have superficially skimmed parts of Lumsden's 702-page volume
on microfiche, and it appears that he raises some theoretical
objections to concepts of comparative linguistics, but it did not
strike me that the material is conceptualised in a radically
different way from other European sources.  I will look further into
it, but on the off-chance that somebody out there might know what
Wright was referring to, I thought I would ask the list.

Thanks for your help.

Salamaat,
A.

Allon J. Uhlmann