help: teaching reading in Arabic_ Arabic -L

Ghassan Husseinali emailghassan at YAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 31 00:37:18 UTC 2006

Salaam Talaat,

  Check out a new book compiled by Bassm Frengieh published by Yale Press . The name of the book is "Anthology o f Arabic Literature, Culture, and Thought form Pre-Islamic Times to Present". It has 70 readings of many genres such as political speaches, Hadiths, Poetry, Literary Criticism, Biographies, etc spanning from Pre-Islamic period till present.

  Ghassan

Talaat Pasha <Talaat.Pasha at UTAH.EDU> wrote:

Salamaat all,

I wonder if anyone has taught intermediate/ advanced course in reading in Arabic. I would appreciate any suggestions/ idea of the material, textbooks, if any etc. I would like to introduce the students to various genres of written Arabic: classical, modern, short stories, media, literature etc.

Any ideas are very welcome,

Talaat