Arabic-L:LING:usage of januub vs. januubiyy

Fri Dec 15 21:26:22 UTC 2006

1) Subject:usage of januub vs. januubiyy

Date: 15 Dec 2006
From:Dil Parkinson <dil at byu.edu>
Subject:usage of januub vs. januubiyy

Can a native speaker tell me whether there is a consistent difference
in the usage of the plain cardinal direction terms (januub, sharq,
etc.) and the nisba adj. versions of those terms (januubiyy,
sharqiyy) particularly when both are used as first term of an idaafa
construct.
i.e. is there a difference between januub baghdaad and januubiyy
baghdaad?
Is there a consistent way to express the difference between 'south of
Baghdad' and 'in the southern part of Baghdad'?
I have been reading through news articles with students, and not
having a great grasp on the geography, I'm never sure if the
'incident' the news article refers to took place inside or outside of
the place referred to.  Any help will be appreciated.
Dil