Arabic-L:LING:more on onomatopoeia

Fri Dec 15 21:26:20 UTC 2006

1) Subject:more on onomatopoeia
2) Subject:more on onomatopoeia

Date: 15 Dec 2006
From: "Dr. M. Deeb" <muhammaddeeb at gmail.com>
Subject:more on onomatopoeia

More Observations on the onomatopoeia and semantics of (عنعنة):

|        'echoic' is lots easier to spell.
|        how about   /gharghara/  =  'to  gargle;'
|        but not  /`an`ana/  =  'to relate (mostly)
|        Hadiths to  [`an] reliable authorities?'           --ms
---

Ø     The commonly used sense of the word (عنعن) is to transmit
an account
through a series of authorities leading to the main source.  That is
strictly the denotation of the word, but on the plane of sound,
wouldn't the
aggregate of the repeated (عن) in a given narrative qualify the
(عنعنة) as
onomatopoeic?

Ø     The dialect of the Tam*i*m tribe is characterized by
pronouncing the
hamza as a 'ayn (ع); thus (عنعنة تميم). Conversely, the
substitution of the
hamza for the (ع) is either a speech impediment or