Arabic-L:PEDA:Needs Advice on New Arabic Program

Sat Feb 18 00:18:45 UTC 2006

1) Subject:Needs Advice on New Arabic Program

Date: 17 Feb 2006
From:kaix04holmanski77 at hotmail.com
Subject:Needs Advice on New Arabic Program

Hello friends,

I am writing because the University of Oregon has decided to start a
four-year 'experimental' program with Arabic in the Fall of 2006.  I
have
been teaching Arabic through a smaller program at the U of O for the
last
several years, and I am working with the Dean's office, et al. to get
information and advice for the new, comprehensive program.

The program is going to start with one year of 1st-year Arabic.  The
next
year both 1st and 2nd year Arabic will be offered, and so on, until the
third year has a full program.  After four years, and during the interim
period, the program will be reviewed.  I am sure it is going to be a
success
since there have been 20+ students in the Arabic classes offered in the
smaller, more obscure program for the last 2-3 years.

I thought that I would ask you all for any help, advice, and/or
information
that you can provide us with as we shape the program and get ready
for it to
start in the Fall.  At this point, what I am looking for is an
example of
the curricula in established Arabic programs so that we can get a
good idea
of what is expected of students at the end of the first year of Arabic
study.  I have some ideas myself of course, but it would be very
helpful for
the U of O to see what other institutions offer and expect.

I have other questions too, but for now I just wanted to put this
information out there and to see who is interested in helping me and
others
to get off on the right foot with the new program.

Thanks for your time, and I hope to hear back from you soon.  You can
reply
to the e-mail I have posted this with or to cmholman at hotmail.com

Cheers,

Chris Holman