Arabic-L:LING:Grammatical Judgement responses

Fri Feb 24 23:14:47 UTC 2006

1) Subject:Grammatical Judgement response
2) Subject:Grammatical Judgement response

Date: 24 Feb 2006
From:wasamy at umich.edu
Subject:Grammatical Judgement response

would appreciate your grammaticality judgment on these sentences with
the
noun [riggaala] marked by both agreement features; do you find them all
acceptable?

a. irriggaala gum. good
b. irriggaala gat. good
"The men came"

c. irriggaala gid3aan. good
d. irriggaala gada3a. bad
"The men are brave" (bad translation)

e. irriggaala humma lgid3aan. good
f. irriggaala hiyya lgada3a. bad
"The men are the brave ones" (bad translation)

g. irriggaala dool mahummaash issabab. good
h. irriggaala di mahiyyaash issabab. good
"These men are not to blame (literally: not the reason)"

i. irriggaala illi 'ultilak 3aleehum xaragu. good
j. irriggaala illi 'ultilak 3aleeha xaragit. bad/marginal
"The men I told you about left"