Arabic-L:PEDA&GEN:UofAz Online Learning Environment

Thu Mar 23 23:36:48 UTC 2006

1) Subject:UofAz Online Learning Environment

Date: 23 Mar 2006
From:marthas at email.arizona.edu
Subject:UofAz Online Learning Environment

Dear Colleagues,

I have a favor to ask of you. Actually it's something that perhaps
someone in your language lab could do.
We use a tool called OLE (Online Learing Environment) at the  U of
Arizona for students to do oral and video recordings and this is the
same tool that I am hoping to use for the AATA sponsored poetry
competition which we want to launch this semester.
The tech guys have asked me to have a couple people test the OLE at a
distance by asking  people off campus to log onto OLE and submit some
kind of 5 minute oral recitation (it can be a reading of anything) this
will also give you an opportunity to see how it works so that when the
competition is annouced you'll be one step ahead in terms of organizing
your students' participation in it.

I have set up an account for the test:

What you need to do is:

go to the website: http://epsilon.ltc.arizona.edu/ole/oleboard.html

log in as follows:
username: AATA
password: AATA

click enter

once in, select the conference "AATA 2006 Arabic Poetry Competition
(Student) and click enter
Select "Long distance test of OLE" and click the + icon in the top right
This gets you into the window where you will do and post a recording as
follows:
Click on *both video and audio*
Select 44 khz from drop down menu
Click the red button to record a 5 minute audioi and video segment
(anyone saying anything really)
Clck the square button to stop recording
Click post to post the recording

Feel free to have whoever is doing this contact me for help if
necessary.

The computer on which this is done needs a microphone, a webcam and an
internet browser with FLASH media plug in. ( a free download)

More information about OLE is available here: http://
www.ole.arizona.edu/
The number below is my cellphone and I can be reached on that number
anytime. Thanks for helping out with this.

Peace,
Martha

Martha Schulte-Nafeh
Assistant Professor and Language Coordinator for Middle Eastern
Languages
Near Eastern Studies/Center for Middle Eastern Studies/University of
Arizona
Louise Foucar Marshall Bldg. Rm. 454
520 730-7605