Arabic-L:GEN:XML->PDF response

Wed May 17 15:02:59 UTC 2006

1) Subject:XML->PDF response
2) Subject:XML->PDF response

Date: 17 May 2006
From:"Rahawi, Mohammed A" <RahawiMA at state.gov>
Subject:XML->PDF response

I use the print function on Mac OS 10.4 to save in PDF format. It works
perfectly. Keeking the format, the fonts (including harakat) and
graphic.

Hope this helps.

Date: 17 May 2006
From:Dil Parkinson <dil at byu.edu>

Indesign CS2 ME works very well with XML, and easily creates PDF
files with full vowels.  My book "Using Arabic Synonyms" was set on a
Mac using Indesign, and it is full of vowels.  I used the Mac
version, but I believe there is a PC version that is equivalent.  You
cannot just get regular Indesign off the shelf, however.  You need to
specifically order the ME version that works with Arabic script and
understands the script direction issues.  It also has a nice feature
that lets you put the vowels 'tight' against the letters, 'normal',
or distant, for various aesthetic effects. The program is almost
ridiculously expensive, and it has a rather steep learning curve--I
went for a long time ignorant of some of its nicest features--, but
for me it has been well worth it.
dil