Arabic-L:LING:Needs ideas on eliciting verb forms

Tue Nov 21 23:09:22 UTC 2006

1) Subject:Needs ideas on eliciting verb forms

Date: 21 Nov 2006
From:Fatima Basaffar <basafarf at hotmail.com>
Subject:Needs ideas on eliciting verb forms

Hi,
It seems to me that you’re interested in Arabic. If you can help me
or direct me to any experts in the field, I’ll be very grateful. Here
is what I’m looking for:
I’m working on the acquisition of verb inflections in Arabic by 2-4
years old children. I’m at the data collection stage.
Since Arabic is a highly inflected language, it didn't prove to be an
easy task to elicit all verb inflections required. I’m using both
naturalistic and experimental methods in which I have  pair of
pictures, a picture story and a 3 minutes vido-clip presenting
cartoon figures performing actions. The problem I’m facing  is in
eliciting the 1st and 2nd person. How can I get the child to produce
the 1st person inflections in the past, present and future  (singular
and plural) and 2nd person inflection in the past, present and future
(male, female and plural).
Does anyone know of a method that can help me in eliciting these
inflections?
Thanks,
Fatima