Arabic-L:GEN:OCR response and OCR thanks

Tue Nov 21 23:09:23 UTC 2006

1) Subject:OCR thanks
2) Subject:OCR response
3) Subject:OCR response

Date: 21 Nov 2006
From:"Waheed Samy" <wasamy at umich.edu>
Subject:OCR thanks

Thank you very much for the OCR responses.
Waheed

Date: 21 Nov 2006
From:"Daniel Newman" <daniel.newman at durham.ac.uk>
Subject:OCR response

Hello,

I have used both ReadIris (admittedly not the most recent version)
and, recently, Sakhr's Automatic Reader. The former really didn't do
the job as it was much too erratic. Sakhr's program is more reliable,
but in my experience still requires careful (and time-consuming) post-
scanning editing, and I feel that it does not live up to the claims
of its makers in terms of accuracy. In addition, it comes at quite a
hefty price (I believe it is around $1500), whereas it can only be
used on one machine, and one machine ONLY as it comes with a security
code.
However, despite its problems, I still think Sakhr is the best Arabic
OCR that I have seen, as long as you don't expect the same
performance and end result that we have grown accustomed to with OCR
software for European languages.
Best,

D. Newman