Arabic-L:LING:Needs refs on Arabic demonstratives

Wed Nov 29 00:02:37 UTC 2006

1) Subject:Needs refs on Arabic demonstratives

Date: 28 Nov 2006
From:"Mai Zaki" <maizaki at gmail.com>
Subject:Needs refs on Arabic demonstratives

Hello everyone,

I am doing a contrastive semantic/pragmatic corpus-based study on
demonstratives in English and Arabic. I would appreciate any
information about papers/books/theses specifically about this topic,
or about Arabic demonstratives in general.

Also, I have a couple of questions. First, I want to ask about the
etymological and morphological links between the forms "hatha,
hathihi, ha?ula?" as deriving from the same morpheme "ha" and if that
has been mentioned in any study to have semantic implications as
well. In this case also I wonder if the other forms "thalika",
"tilka" and "?ula?ik" etymologically belong to a different origin.
Second, I read in a couple of old grammar books that the phoneme "ha"
is phonologically used for attracting attention, so I wanted to check
if this phenomenon is well established in Arabic phonology (does it
also apply to other lexical forms?) in order to correctly assess the
implications of this on the semantics of these forms.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Mai Zaki