help: teaching reading in Arabic_ Arabic -L

Wafa Daoud daoudw at STJOHNS.EDU
Sun Sep 3 00:37:38 UTC 2006

Dear Souad,

I have been following up on this intermediate reading teaching issue, I use al-Kitaab at St John's University and  my students enjoy it as well.

Would you please provide me with some more information regarding the Middle East and Central Asia
Conference (MECA) in September and who should I get in touch with since I would like very much to attend this event

Best regards,

Wafa Daoud
Arabic Studies
Language and literature department
St John's University
8000, Utopia Parkway
Queens, NY 11439
daoudw at stjohns.edu

	-----Original Message-----
	From: List arabic-l on behalf of Souad T. Ali
	Sent: Fri 9/1/2006 5:51 PM
	To: ARABIC-L at LISTSERV.BYU.EDU
	Subject: Re: help: teaching reading in Arabic_ Arabic -L

	Salaam, Talaat:

	In addition to the good suggestions you have received thus far, I would like
	to support the ones recommending the readings from al-Kitaab fii Ta'allum
	al-'Arabiyya (Books 2 and 3, especially 3).  I have noticed that my students
	enjoy such short texts as (Suaad AsSabbah), (al-Xansaa), (Adoniis). Longer
	texts, such as the text from Hisham Sharabi's book, "al-Jamr wa al-Ramaad),
	have also been good for upper intermediate or advanced students. For
	Intermediate levels such texts as "Bidaayaat al-Sahaafah al-'Arabiyya,"
	"Tawfiiq al-Hakiim," have also been popular among my students. I am glad to
	know from Mahmoud al-Batal's message that some of these texts will soon be
	available on online.

	See you soon in Salt Lake City during the Middle East and Central Asia
	Conference (MECA) in September.

	All the best all to all the colleagues at the U.
	Souad Ali

	---
	Souad T. Ali, Ph.D.
	Assistant Professor of Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies
	Coordinator of Classics and Middle Eastern Studies
	Department of Languages and Literatures
	College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
	Women and Gender Studies Affiliate
	Arizona State University