Arabic-L:PEDA:Ramadan Language Tables Query

Wed Sep 20 19:58:53 UTC 2006

1) Subject:Ramadan Language Tables Query

Date: 20 Sep 2006
From:imasmoud at middlebury.edu
Subject:Ramadan Language Tables Query

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to have your opinion about language tables during Ramadan.
We, Arabic Faculty at Middlebury College, have to organize Arabic
language tables 3 times a week during lunch time where attendance is
obligatory for Arabic students, Arabic TA and Arabic faculty.
We suggested to the chair to switch the language tables from lunch
time to dinner which would be more culturally appropriate for Muslim
attendants and it also conveys the cultural and religious values of
Ramadan.
However we were faced with a general disapproval of the  idea.
We would very much appreciate your input and feedback in this matter.
We are interested to know what you would do if you were in our position.

Many thanks,

Ikram Masmoudi and Hanada al-Masri
Assistant Professors/Arabic
Middlebury College.