Arabic-L:GEN:Humsi jokes responses

Tue Apr 10 16:45:12 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Humsi jokes response
2) Subject:Humsi jokes response

Date: 10 Apr 2007
From:mutarjm at aol.com
Subject:Humsi jokes response

Greetings.

Although I don't know about Humsi jokes, there are a few published
compilations (mostly only in the Arabic) of somewhat-similar "Tafiili
and Saltii" jokes in Jordan and "Saedii" and "fahlawiii" jokes in
Egypt. Those jokes are based primarily on social class and level of
educations / native shrewdness and quick-wittedness, rather than
ethnic differentiations. My copies of those paperbacks are not at
hand, as I relocated to Riyadh. As best I can recall, some bookstores
in Cairo and Amman carried those publications in the late 1980s -
early 1990s.

You might also query University Microfilms for theses and
dissertations in Arabic linguistics that treated such jokes.

Hope this helps.
Khair, in shaa' Allah.
Regards,

Stephen H. Franke