Arabic-L:LING:yajudu query

Fri Apr 13 18:15:04 UTC 2007

1) Subject:yajudu query

Date: 13 Apr 2007
From:"suhel2 at tin.it" <suhel2 at tin.it>
Subject:yajudu query

Hello everybody,
I find it troublesome to understand a point which,
according to prof. Bohas (Etude des théories des grammairiens arabes,
1984, pp. 66-67) Ibn Ya'iish (forgive the bad transliteration..) has
written down in his SharH al Muluukii in two parts, the first of which
should be on page 48 of the book.. It's about Siibawayhi's report of
the only verb with first radical waaw with a perfect in fa'ala whose
imperfect tense has a  yaf'ulu version, that's to say wajada/yajudu..
Bohas reports Ibn Ya'iish'es words in which he explains the extreme
rarity of such a yaf'ulu form for these fa'ala verbs.. The words go
like this [loosely translated from french by me]: "because u after y
disgusts the speaker, just as does w after y". Forgive the bad
translation. Now what I don't quite understand is:
1) why would a form
like yajudu exist, given the fact that its underlying representation is
supposedly yawjudu, which does not have an i to trigger the erasing of
the waaw; and
2) as long as Ibn Ya'iish'es explanation is concerned,
phonologically speaking, wouldn't what he wrote apply as well to verbs
like kataba/yaktubu?
Hopefully some enlightened scholar will give me an
insight into these interesting theories and loose these knots of mine.
Thanks in advance,
Suhel Jaber