Arabic-L:GEN:Needs to make own key layout in Windows

Fri Apr 13 18:14:49 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Needs to make own key layout in Windows

Date: 13 Apr 2007
From:Dan Parvaz <dparvaz at mac.com>
Subject:Needs to make own key layout in Windows

With the demise of the the Ittisalat list (RIP), I feel this is the
community I should be turning to for this. In Mac OS X, the
international keyboards include an "Arabic" and an "Arabic QWERTY"
keyboard layout; the latter maps Arabic letters to their Latin
"equivalents" (a -> Alef, b -> baa, etc.). Again, I'm in the position
to be entering substantial amounts of Arabic text, only I'm doing it
on a Windows XP (ugh) system. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to
import or create alternative keyboard layouts (in OS X, this boils
down to an XML file).

SIL refers to me to a program called Keyman which requires a separate
layout creation program and licensing fees which border on the
comically arrogant. Are there no decent alternatives? Something which
captures keyboard events and sends on user-defined unicode character.
If needed, I'll write it, but I can't believe nothing cheap/free has
been done in this area...

Thanks in advance,

-Dan.