Arabic-L:LING:Etymology of nahr el-ehreir

Wed Aug 1 16:51:23 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Etymology of nahr el-ehreir

Date: 01 Aug 2007
From:"Daniel Hunt" <Cerwyd at msn.com>
Subject:Etymology of nahr el-ehreir

[moderator's note: the following came as a series of messages.
hopefully you will be able to follow them.]

Dear List Members:

I'm researching the Er-Rafeh or "Raphon" site in Syria.  Online
sources indicate that this place is on a tributary of the Yarmuk
called the El-Ehreir.  This is said to mean "The Torrent", but I
wanted to check and make certain such a definition is correct.

Please also include any variants of this word and cognates in other
Semitic languages.  I'm especially interested to know whether ehreir
is cognate with Hebrew yoreh (or yarah/yara), Ugaritic hr( r )-, etc.

Thank you.

_____

I find a Nahr al-Harir near Dara in Syria... is this an alternate
spelling for the Nahr el-Ehreir of Er-Rafeh?

Thank you again.
______

I found the following site and the Lat./Long. coordinates for Wadi el
Ehrer and Wadi Al Harir do, in fact, match:

http://water.worldcitydb.com/muhafazat_dar%
60a_in_syrian_arab_republic_state.html<http://water.worldcitydb.com/
muhafazat_dar`a_in_syrian_arab_republic_state.html>

To me, it looks like a stream named Harir could, in fact, be an
Arabic form of the Ugaritic hr ( r )-, which means to pour out or be
dispensed (as water).

I look forward to hearing what list members have to say on the root
of this Arabic stream name and its range of meanings.

Thank you again.
______

Dr. Parkinson.

Do you happen to have J. Hava's Arabic-English Dictionary: Al-Faraid?

Margalit cites 822 f. as the cognate Arabic root to the Ugaritic hr
( r ) I mentioned in my earlier posts.  He does not give the root, of
course, but does say that it is provided with the definition
'abundant of water', and 'flow, pour out'.  If someone can please
supply me with this Arabic root (in transliterated or "Anglicized"
form), that would answer part of my question.  Then I need only
ascertain as to whether the Al-Harir (or el-Ehreir) river name is
from the same root, and what it means as a river-name.

Best wishes,

Daniel