Arabic-L:PEDA:Needs Teacher Training Materials

Mon Aug 20 17:54:47 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Needs Teacher Training Materials

Date: 20 Aug 2007
From: "Hossam Ibrahim" <hossam.ibrahim at link.net>
Subject:Needs Teacher Training Materials

Dear All,

I am setting up a teacher training workshop for my teachers in a study
abroad program in Alexandria, Egypt, and I am looking for materials.

By the end of the two days, trainees will be able to:

1. Identify a valid learning objective (e.g., SMART and SMARTER models).

2. Identify a "flawed" learning objective in a language situation, and
modify it so that it is communicatively valid.

3. Given a unit from an AFL book, extract the objectives it addresses.

4. Select, adapt, and use available materials to supplement a core
unit so
that an AFL unit is (a) communicative, (b) only uses grammar and
vocabulary
to perform a language function (e.g. making polite requests), (c) can be
aligned with ACTFL standards, (d) skill-based, not grammar translation /
memorization based.

I am mostly interested in video of master teachers, articles that
address
these issues in AFL context, task sheets, suggestions, shared
experiences,
even short quotations, etc.  To reduce traffic on the mailing list,
please
email me directly, and I will post a summary of responses.

Warm Regards,

Hossam