Arabic-L:LING:'Compromise' in Arabic

Mon Aug 20 17:54:44 UTC 2007

1) Subject:'Compromise' in Arabic

Date: 20 Aug 2007
From:BearMeiser at aol.com
Subject:'Compromise' in Arabic

Someone recently pointed out to me that he heard that there is no
Arabic word
for "compromise." He then directed me to an article suggest that the
lack of
an Arabic word has had political implications over the years:
http://www.mideastweb.org/compromise.htm

Without regard to the validity of the ideas expressed in the article,
how is
the idea of "compromise" expressed in Arabic? Most importantly, how to
translators of news articles and other modern political writings
render the idea in
Arabic?