Arabic-L:LING:Arabic and Generative Grammar

Tue Dec 18 20:30:42 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Arabic and Generative Grammar
2) Subject:Arabic and Generative Grammar

Date: 18 Dec 2007
From:Kevin Schluter <schlu017 at umn.edu>
Subject:Arabic and Generative Grammar

The name that immediately comes to mind when discussing agreement
asymmetries in Arabic syntax is Elabbas Benmamoun at the University of
Illinois Champaign-Urbana.

http://www.linguistics.uiuc.edu/benmamou/

Date: 18 Dec 2007
From:Nimat Hafez Barazangi <nhb2 at cornell.edu>

The following empirical evidence also suggests that the Generative
Grammar Theory  (GGT) does not apply to Arabic.

A colleague of mine and I tried to test the theory with Arab children
(ages 2-3) acquiring Arabic. We found that even when the children use
the colloquial version, making the construct SV (e.g., Baba sherib
"Daddy drank"),  as we ask them to repeat a similar complete SVO
sentence (e.g.,  Baba sherib almay "Dady drank the water"), they
reverted to VSO (Sherib baba almay).  The study, obviously revealed
many other factors that suggests a negative applicability of GGT to
Arabic, but I cannot discuss in this context .

The above indicates the need for further studies in Arabic language
acquisition as well as the need for furthering Abdelkader Fassi Fehri
studies of the linguistic structures of Arabic. Both require more than
just individual efforts !

Best wishes,

Nimat