Arabic-L:LING:Venice etymology (one more)

Thu Feb 1 20:24:10 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Venice etymology (one more)

Date: 01 Feb 2007
From:taoufiq ben amor <tb46 at columbia.edu>
Subject:Venice etymology (one more)

dear all,

very interesting that the question should surface again. a friend of
mine, and recently one of my students, asked me the same question. i
have only a partial answer: "bunduqa" means, among other things, a
pellet or bullet, the size of a hazelnut,  that used to be slung out
of a bow or a long tube, hence the name bunduq and bunduqiyya for a
rifle. whether this bears any relationship to venice, i still don't
know.

best,

taoufiq ben amor