Arabic-L:LING:Hamza

Thu Feb 1 20:24:11 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Hamza
2) Subject:Hamza
3) Subject:Hamza

Date: 01 Feb 2007
From:maabdelw at purdue.edu
Subject:Hamza

[on this one the Arabic didn't come through to me, so for sure it
won't come through to you, but here it is anyway.  dil]

There are rules for the use of Hamza whether supported by alif, on a
seat, or
independent. As an example, If the sound that precedes hamza is a
short vowel
dumma,and the following letter is mahmouz maksour, hamza is witten on
a seat (
ÓõÆá, if the preceding letter is long vowel alif, and the following
mahmouz
letter is maksour, then hamza is written on a seat )ÓÇÆá. If the mahmouz
letter is with a short fatha, then hamza is independent given that the
preceding letter is a long vowel' alif' ÓÇÁóá. It is  also written
independent
in the final position given that the preceding letter is a long vowel
ÓãÇÁ, æÖæÁ
. THese are just some examples

   An example is worth a 100 pages of explanation
MOhammad