Arabic-L:LING:sijill and khiDamm

Thu Feb 8 17:55:44 UTC 2007

1) Subject:sijill and khiDamm
2) Subject:sijill and khiDamm
3) Subject:sijill and khiDamm
4) Subject:sijill and khiDamm
5) Subject:sijill and khiDamm

Date: 08 Feb 2007
From:Ernest McCarus <enm at umich.edu>
Subject:sijill and khiDamm

Sijill: I understand that Arabic sijill 'record' comes from Latin
sicillum/sigillum meaning "seal", as used on medals, in records, etc.

I've seen no theories on khiDamm.

Ernest McCarus

Date: 08 Feb 2007
From:"Marco Hamam" <marco.hamam at poste.it>

Dear  Roger,
after having a look to some grammars I have found something regarding
your very interesting query.
KhiDamm and sijill are part of a phenomenon that is called in the
arabic grammar "az-ziyada bi-takrir Harf min al-aSl fi (al-ism) ath-
thulathi".
There are three types of this kind of "ziyada":
1. doubling the 'ayn (of the triliteral pattern f-'-l --> fu''al,
fi''al, fi''il, fu''ul) like in: sullam, qinnab, dinnab, zummal,
HimmiS, Hilliz, tubbu' etc.
2. doubling the lam (f-'-l --> fa'lal, fu'lul, fu'lal, fa'all,
fi'all, fi'ill, fu'ull, fu'alla, fu'ulla) like in: mahdad, surdud,
qu'dud, 'unbab, qu'dad, rimdid, sharabba, baladda, khiDamm, ma'add,
habayy, jidabb, khidabb, sijill, jubunn, qutunn, qumudd, filizz,
khabathth (al-fiDDa), Timirr, ta'iffa, durajja, talunna.
3. doubling both 'ayn and lam (f-'-l --> fa'al'al, fu'al'al) like in:
Habarbar, tabarbar, Hawarwar, SamaHmaH, duraHraH.
(Abu Bakr Muhammad as-Sarraj an-NaHwi, al-uSul fi an-naHw, III, pp.
212-213)
The same phenomenon happens with quadrilitteral roots too.

Marco Hamam