Arabic-L:LING:Iraq and Venice etymologies

Thu Feb 22 18:46:37 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Iraq and Venice etymologies
1) Subject:Iraq etymology

Date: 22 Feb 2007
From:maabdelw at purdue.edu
Subject:Iraq and Venice etymologies

  Multiple explanations
Some say it dates back to the Sumerian city of Uruk(or Erech) which is
mentioned in Gelgamesh Epic.Others believe it comes from Aramaic
language,
meaning"the land along the banks of the rivers".Others say it is a
reference
to the root of a palm tree,as they are numerous in Iraq.Others say it
comes
from the Arabic word"Areeq",meaning noble in origin or deep-rooted in
history
because it was the cradle of the Sumerian,Akkadian,Babylonian and
Assyrian
civilizations and cultures.Under the Persian Sassanid Dynasty, Iraq was
called" Erak Arabi", referring to a region which was part of the
south western
region of the Persian Empire.Al-Iraq, was the name used by the Arabs
since the
6th century.
2.Regardig the Arabic name "Al-Bundiqiyya" for Venice, I believe it
was just
a wrong translation of the word (Albondiga,or albondigas) which means
meatballs, because Venice was famous(and maybe still so) for its cooked
meatballs.

M. wali