Arabic-L:PEDA:Which dialect to teach

Thu Feb 22 18:46:39 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Which dialect to teach
2) Subject:Which dialect to teach
3) Subject:Which dialect to teach
4) Subject:Which dialect to teach

Date: 22 Feb 2007
From:"Jeremy Palmer" <jeremy.palmer at gmail.com>
Subject:Which dialect to teach

Dear Mike Schub,

I am surprised that you do not know which spoken variety to teach. The
profession has come to the following conclusion regarding the issue:

you should teach variety "x", because variety "y" is not understood in
countries "a", "b", and "c" - but the majority of the people who
speak "a",
"b", and "c" (and don't forget "d") understand variety "x". We have also
always felt an acute attraction for dialect "z", so you might
consider that
as well. You must realize, however, that variety "x" might not be
understood
outside of that particular city, so you really should teach variety
"x.1",
which is not to be confused with dialect "x", due to the sensitive
nature of
vernacular discrimination and language identity. Did we mention the
lack of
codification for variety "x" in general? We hope you won't try to
standardize variety "x.1" without the consent of the local populace, who
might not even wish to consider "x.1" a real "language". Good luck
with all
that!

Humor aside, this is one of the most loaded questions in the
profession.  I
am a proponent of teaching spoken varieties, though I will not
attempt to
enlighten this listserv. Perhaps a personal email might be more
appropriate
in which I can reveal my own variety bias.

Best,

Jeremy Palmer
Second Language Acquisition and Teaching
(SLAT) PhD student
University of Arizona