Arabic-L:TRANS:windchill & speech communication

Thu Feb 22 18:46:41 UTC 2007

1) Subject:windchill
2) Subject:windchill and speech communication

Date: 22 Feb 2007
From: "Marco Hamam" <marco.hamam at poste.it>
Subject:windchill

Hi Ola! What a good question!
I don't think there is a fixed translation for "windchill". Somewhere
(here, in a site about meteorology, for example: http://
arabic.wunderground.com) I've found "رياح باردة" that is a
bad translation because it means "chill wind" and that does not
explain the phenomenon. I asked some friends of mine and one said:
تربد ريحي ... And everybody said: it doesn't work! Nor is it
برودة الرياح . It does work but it's not this phenomenon,
as far as I know.
I'd like to open a little discussion starting from what is more a
definition than a final translation:
تأثير برودة الرياح على شعور الانسان
بدرجة حرارة جسمه
or just
تأثير الرياح
Hope this little contribution will open a discussion.
By the way, you could ask people at this site http://
www.arabicwata.org/ . They are professional Arab translators. If you
do it, then please share with us your results.
Have a look at the Cairo's Academy of Arabic language here http://
www.arabicacademy.org.eg/search.asp?sid=1 .
Best,

Marco Hamam