Arabic-L:LING:Verb Innovation responses

Wed Jan 17 19:42:31 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Verb Innovation response
2) Subject:Verb Innovation response
3) Subject:Verb Innovation response
4) Subject:Verb Innovation response

Date: 17 Jan 2007
From:Dan Parvaz <dparvaz at mac.com>
Subject:Verb Innovation response

Off the top of my head, here are a few that I've heard:

Form II ("technological" terms):
fallala (Jordanian) and fawwala (Egyptian): to fill a car with petrol
sayyava: to save a file on a computer disk

Form V "Quadraliterals" (used humorously):
tasambatsha: to call someone an S.O.B.
tadamfala (heard second hand): to call someone a "Damn fool" (as in
"al-Ingiliiz yatadamfalu huwayya", heard from an Iraqi),

I'm sure there are lots more.

-Dan.