Arabic-L:LING:Hamza responses

Sat Jan 20 21:31:32 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Hamza response
2) Subject:Hamza response
3) Subject:Hamza response
4) Subject:Hamza response
5) Subject:Hamza response
6) Subject:Hamza response

Date: 20 Jan 2007
From:Jonathan Rodgers <jrodgers at umich.edu>
Subject:Hamza response

See Wright, A Grammar of the Arabic Language, v. 1, p. 75, paragraph
133, rem.

Date: 20 Jan 2007
From: "Waheed Samy" <wasamy at umich.edu>

Haruko, you can use either one of the two methods below:

I-  The strength-O-meter method
Under this method the strongest wins!
Here is ‘the order of strength’, from strongest to weakest: ئـ,
ؤ, أ.
So in your example, أقرأها VS أقرؤها, the second wins
because ؤ is stronger than أ:

Here’s another example:
تقرأين or تقرئين?
According to the strength-O-meter above, ئـ is stronger than أ.
Therefore تقرئين wins.

II- The syllable method
If you syllabify the indicative أقرأها or أقرَؤها you get
the following four syllables:
‘aq + ra + ’u + ha.
The third syllable -‘u - tells you that the seat of the hamza is /w/.

For تقرأين and تقرئين, if you syllabify you get the
following four syllables:
taq + ra+ ‘ii+ na.
The third syllable –‘ii- tells you that the seat of the hamza is /
y/.

Waheed