Arabic-L:PEDA:Colloquial in the Curriculum

Fri Jul 27 19:21:04 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Colloquial in the Curriculum
2) Subject:Colloquial in the Curriculum

Date: 27 Jul 2007
From:Munther Younes <may2 at cornell.edu>
Subject:Colloquial in the Curriculum

Ms. Tressy Arts asks if one:

"could not learn MSA as a "second language" the same way as I
learned English, and become quite proficient in it, so that it becomes
nearly natural to speak it? Or is it necessary to hear it spoken as a
natural language for anyone to be comfortably using it in daily life?
Would
a group of children raised in standard Arabic feel and use it as a
natural
language, or are there elements in MSA that are foreign to natural
languages?"

These are interesting questions, and I am not sure they can be
answered in a satisfactory manner. However, it seems to me that an
essential characteristic of a natural language is that it is used for
ordinary conversation by a speech community.

An experiment in which children are raised speaking MSA would not be
easy to complete for a variety of practical reasons,  and stories of
parents trying to raise their children speaking MSA suggest that the
practice generally ends in failure.

The evidence available strongly suggests that MSA (or Classical
Arabic or Fusha) as we know it now and as we know it from the old
books (with cases and moods and other features which are unique to
it) was never the language of daily conversation for any speech
community in the history of the Arabic language. In spite of this,
attempts at imposing this variety of the language on Arabic speakers
continue unabated amid accusations that it is lack of patriotism or
intelligence or both that are responsible for their failure to master
it.

Munther Younes
Cornell University