Arabic-L:PEDA:Colloquial in the Curriculum

Tue Jul 24 14:40:43 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Colloquial in the Curriculum
2) Subject:Colloquial in the Curriculum
3) Subject:Colloquial in the Curriculum
4) Subject:Colloquial in the Curriculum
5) Subject:Colloquial in the Curriculum
6) Subject:Colloquial in the Curriculum

Date: 24 Jul 2007
From:Karin Ryding <rydingk at georgetown.edu>
Subject:Colloquial in the Curriculum

     First of all, thanks to all for the wide-ranging discussion on
colloquial Arabic in the curriculum.  It has been very interesting
and timely, and I would just like to add my two cents.
	As we all know, written and spoken Arabic are closely interwoven
components of any Arabic speech community. In order to progress to
teaching advanced communicative competence in Arabic, Arabic teachers
and scholars need  to come to terms with authentic forms of Arabic
primary discourse and acknowledge that for teaching non-native
speakers of Arabic, we need the training and the scholarly resources
to help students learn everyday spoken Arabic as well as academic/
written Arabic.  There is a vital need to develop a range of testable
curricular models (formulas, templates, paradigms, schemata) to
evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of each, to provide data and
feedback for analysis, and to judge effectiveness in all four
skills.  Right now there are only a few curriculum models that
incorporate significant amounts of spoken Arabic (such as the
programs at BYU, Cornell, and Western Michigan), but these provide
significant options to the MSA-only curriculum.  Programs such as
those that use Educated Spoken Arabic/Formal Spoken Arabic for
teaching communicative skills are also important experiments whose
materials, methods, and results need to be much more visible to the
field in general.
	There is not one single answer to the issue of effective language
programs, methods, and materials.  The Arabic field is enriched by
those who undertake careful, closely-monitored, and documented
experimentation with the nature, amount, and calibration of authentic
spoken and written Arabic in both educational and government training
institutions.  The most important thing for non-native Arabic
learners is to introduce interactive spoken skills early on in any
curriculum, and not to ignore them.  Leaving crucial everyday
communicative skills outside the curriculum unnecessarily handicaps
and discourages our younger students who are learning Arabic in order
live, study, and work in the Arab world and to be able to hold and
understand sensible and creative conversations with Arab friends,
acquaintances and everyday contacts in a wide range of situations.
	From what I have seen in the discussion on Arabic-L, there is some
sense that spoken Arabic vernaculars are “simpler” or “less complex”
than fusha.  And I know that some individuals believe that teaching
spoken Arabic is neither a challenging nor stimulating intellectual
task because its structure and vocabulary are more elementary.  But I
think the opposite. Although it may be true that the colloquials have
fewer inflectional categories than fusha, they are by no means
simple.  Think of the complexities of the Egyptian negation system,
for example.   Also, and most importantly, when viewed from a
sociolinguistic perspective, the interactional dynamics and the range
of discourse norms, functions, formulas, options, strategies, and
taboos is highly sophisticated and complex, even within a single
speech community.
	I therefore think the earlier the exposure to spoken Arabic, the
better.  There is a great deal to learn, not so much in terms of
traditional grammatical categories perhaps, but in terms of
interactive strategies, creation of meaning, conversation protocols,
and narrative skills.  Our students are certainly up to the
challenge, but are we prepared to venture into this discourse world?

     Thanks, Karin Ryding