Arabic-L:GEN:Security and 'Good' Arabic

Fri Mar 16 15:37:19 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Security and 'Good' Arabic

Date: 16 Mar 2007
From:"Waheed Samy" <wasamy at umich.edu>
Subject:Security and 'Good' Arabic

David writes:
> ...>  Another,
> who can hardly speak a word of Arabic, is hurrying to obtain her
> clearance before she goes (and hurrying to bone up on the lingo before
> she goes too).

Good Arabic:

Going through security at Detroit Metro Airport, walking past a table
(طاولة), I read a notice taped on it.  It said, in English,
something like
the following:

DO NOT TOUCH TABLE

The Arabic translation:

ممنوع مَس الجدول

[Dil's attempt at transliteration for those who aren't getting the
script: mamnuu‘ mass al-jadwal]