Arabic-L:LING:MedBridge Systems Linguist Job

Wed Mar 28 20:15:42 UTC 2007

1) Subject:MedBridge Systems Linguist Job

Date: 28 Mar 2007
From:"Barb Clogg-Wright" <barb.cloggw at medbridge.net>
Subject:MedBridge Systems Linguist Job

To the moderator and readers of the Arabic_L list.

We are looking for a PhD linguist to help us in the immediate short term
with the following.  This person would also stand as a back-up for our
primary linguist who is currently out on sick leave, and help on
occasions
when deadline dates and content amount collide.  The following is the
general letter that we send to recruit our linguists in all languages.
Currently, we need MSA and our translator and voice are Egyptian.

Hello,

  Would you be interested in sending your CV for consideration for a
position
helping us to achieve language excellence in the following area?

We are a software development enterprise in Fredericton, New Brunswick,
Canada (www.medbridge.net).  We have developed an interpretation program
designed to aid health-care professionals to communicate with
non-English-speaking patients.  This program serves as a bridge,
allowing
second-language speakers immediate access to health care while
waiting for
an interpreter to arrive.

We need a linguist.  The usual role of the linguist is to help us to
select
the native voice with the correct accent and choose the appropriate
writing
system, ensure the standards of language usage, review samples of the
standard language content, and to assess the translators.  This is on-
going
work that can be done on our internet website on a part-time basis.  The
linguist would also arbitrate any problems that might arise for the
translator, reviewers and recording voice. This is the stage where we
require support now. The linguist should have a PhD in Linguistics
and in
the native language if at all possible.  The challenge is to maintain
high
standards of grammatical excellence while having the content sound like
spoken-form language that will put the patient at ease in a stressful
situation.

We have a very tight deadline to complete the last of our current
content
and our primary linguist is currently unavailable.  We need someone who
would be willing to start work immediately.  This person could then be
available in the future when work demands exceed the capacity of one
person.

We would like to discuss the possibility of your participation in our
project or, we would appreciate your referral to colleagues who might
be,
both interested in and, available for linguistic work of this type.
Thank
you.

Sincerely,

Barb Clogg-Wright