Arabic-L:K-16:Looking for Arabic Language Programs K-12

Mon Oct 8 17:20:28 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Looking for Arabic Language Programs K-12

Date: 08 Oct 2007
From:dJohnson at cal.org
Subject:Looking for Arabic Language Programs K-12

The National Capital Language Resource Center is a collaboration of
the Georgetown University, The George Washington University, and The
Center for Applied Linguistics. We have been funded by the U.S.
Department of Education to help develop a network for teachers of
Arabic K-12. Our website is www.nclrc.org.

For several years we have been developing a list of schools that
teach Arabic as a core subject in K-12 in the U.S. This past year,
our collecting efforts took a little bit of a hiatus but we have
begun to update the information once again. Below is the list of the
public schools and public charter schools that we are aware of who
are teaching Arabic now. We have information on more, but it is so
incomplete, we are reluctant to list those schools.  Included are
also a few private schools from whom we have received permission to
disseminate their names.

If you are aware of any other schools where Arabic is taught K-12,
please let us know by email mailto:nclrc at gwu.edu, or telephone (202)
973-1086, and we will contact them. If you are administrator of a
teacher listserv, please feel free to forward this on to others who
may help us. It would be helpful if you can also provide us with any
of the following: contact name, phone number, e-mail, or Web site.

In the near future, the list of public, public charter schools, and
private schools (who give permission) will be published on our
website. It is important that this list be as complete as possible
since it will be an encouragement to others in setting up Arabic
language programs.

Some on this list will wonder about why Islamic schools are not
included. We have information on many Islamic schools and certainly
their efforts to increase Arabic language teaching is in the
forefront of the field. If you have information on any schools,
please send them to us. We will ask each school about permission to
list them, as we have with private schools. So if they don't give us
permission, they will be part of the database, but not necessarily
listed on the Web site or made publicly available.

Thank you for your help.
Sincerely,
Dora Johnson
Arizona:
Tempe Accelerated HS
Connecticut:
Choate/Rosemary Hall
Guilford HS
Brien McMahon HS (Center for Global Studies)
District of Columbia:
St. Anselm's
Florida:
Pine Ridge HS