Arabic-L:LING:MSA phonemes vs. phonemes in Gulf Arabic

Thu Oct 11 14:02:52 UTC 2007

1) Subject:MSA phonemes vs. phonemes in Gulf Arabic

Date: 10 Oct 2007
From:abdessatar mahfoudhi <mabessatar at yahoo.com>
Subject:MSA phonemes vs. phonemes in Gulf Arabic

Greetings,
   I am interested in the developement of reading Modern Standard
Arabic (MSA) in Arabic- speaking countries of the Gulf , particularly
the (potential) difficulties young learners (might) face (i.e. the
Arabic-speaking learners). One source of difficulty is the difference
in the phonetic inventory between MSA and the local varieties.
   I was wondering if anybody could help by providing informed
insights on what phonemes/letters are of potential confusion/
difficulty to the young learner in any of the Gulf varieties ( I have
had some help with Qatari Arabic already). Any suggestions on
relevant useful references are also most appreciated.
   THANK YOU ALL,
   Abdessatar Mahfoudhi