Arabic-L:GEN:Job Postings

Thu Oct 18 19:20:17 UTC 2007

1) Subject: Job Postings
2) Subject:Job Postings

Date: 18 Oct 2007
From: "David Wilmsen" <david.wilmsen at gmail.com>
Subject:More on Job Postings Info

I think in the states there may be legal implications for employers in
posting salary expectations - or it could be crass self interest on
the part of universities that leads them to try to get their teachers
for the least money possible, regardless of market rates, and not to
publish their salary ranges as a consequence.  In the UK, the salary
range is usually posted with the job announcement as a matter of
course (I think also for legal reasons).

Arabic-L could act as a vehicle for change by refusing to accept job
announcements without a posted salary range.

Out of pure cussedness, I would be willing to volunteer to vet all job
announcements submitted to the list and correspond with those
institutions who post without stating a salary range.

I notice that private companies recruiting translators for the meat
grinder in Iraq will gladly state a detailed salary range.

--
David Wilmsen, PhD, Arabic language and linguistics
Visiting Associate Professor of Arabic