Arabic-L:LING:Dr. Deeb's corrected post

Sat Sep 1 15:44:22 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Dr. Deeb's corrected post

Date: 01 Sep 2007
From:moderator
Subject:Dr. Deeb's corrected post

For some reason Dr. Deeb's post arrived to me garbled.  Here is what
he originally wrote.  I'll copy it with and without formatting below
so hopefully most will be able to read the Arabic.--dil

Random Observations on Three Words

In translation, one searches for either the equivalent of the word in
the source text, coins a new word, or attempts a brief definition.
Translations from Greek, Latin, German, practically all languages
bear testimony to this linguistic process.

I'm amused that a latter-day writer would claim that Arabic has no
one-word translation of terms like "compromise" and "integrity."
The implication is that Arabic is an impoverished language!  Such
people who are inured in "fast food culture," and consequently
wrestle with a sense of insecurity about their Arabic, and its
alleged poverty in translation, should realize that "compromise" is
essentially a net product of three combined Latin words <con
(together or jointly) + pro (forth) + mittere (send)>.

I'd argue, further, that knowledge of etymology, while not a
prerequisite, may prove useful in translation.   It would at least
temper hasty assumptions that Arabic lacks equivalents for words like
"compromise" and "integrity."

I. Compromise (v. & n.):
¨  to come to agreement by mutual concession
¨  to find or follow a way between extremes; the process of
     compromise may involve arbitration, tolerance, balance
     or making concessions
¨  (derogatory) to make a shameful or disreputable concession <to
compromise one's ideals, standards, principles or morals>

Arabic equivalents are as folloows:

ـــ(1) تراض، تسوية، حل وسط، اتفاق لحل
نزاع؛ مهادنة ، هدنة؛ صلح

ــ(2) توصلا | توصلوا إلى حل وسط، اتفقا |
اتفقوا على فض نزاع، تراضيا | تراضَوْا

ــ(3)  وضعه في موضع الشبهة ، فضحه ، عرضه
للألسنة

¨  to compromise oneself; to compromise one's ideals, standards,
principles, reputation, &ct.:

   (يمتهن/ يبتذل نفسه أو مبادئه ؛ يضع
نفسه موضع الشبهة )

¨  adjectival or participial form: compromised:
(مشبوه ), (متهم )

In international negotiations, "compromise" often acquires negative
connotations, and becomes synonymous with " capitulation," in which
one or more negotiators make concessions in principles, objectives or
land.  Arabic rendering of "compromise" in such cases may be
qualified from:   (تسوية /  معاهدة صلح ) to
(تسوية /  معاهدة استسلام ).

The compromise truce of al-Hudyabiyah between the Prophet Muhammad
and Quraysh, in 628 CE, is variously referred to as ( عهد ),
(مَعْهَدة ) (معاهدة), (هدنة ), and to a lesser
extent, as (صلح ).  Although it was a master plan leading to the
conquest of Mecca,  cUmar b. al-Kha ṭṭāb had, at first,
reservations about it as a form of
  (دَنـِـيــََِّـة  | daniyyah , i.e., humiliation), to
Islam.

II. Integrity (quality of being honest and having high moral
principles):

استقامة، نزاهة، أمانة، كمال الأخلاق،
سلامة الخلق؛ اكتمال، وفور

III. Privacy:
خصوصية، (أمور) شخصية، أمر خاص؛ سرية؛
خَلوة، عزلة

As an aside, I note that some colleagues on the list use the wrong
voweling of ( خَلوة / khalwah) as (khulwah)!

MD

PS:

  ( الحديبية) is written with or without a shaddah on the last
yā'. ِ I have an irritating problem with the tansliteration of the
guttural letter; it turns out as a blank square!  I would appreciate
your kind help on this.

--
M. Deeb
English, Comparative Literature & Cultural Studies