Arabic-L:PEDA:New Textbook

Thu Sep 20 22:27:50 UTC 2007

1) Subject:New Textbook

Date: 20 Sep 2007
From:hoffiz.ben at gmail.com
Subject:New Textbook

[since I can't post attachments, I have copied as much of the content
of the pdf as I could below.--dil]

Dear Listserv:

This is to announce that my new Arabic textbook is in print now.
The attachment is for you to examine.  Kindly tell me what you think.
Thank you.

Best,
Ben Hoffiz

About the author
B.T. Hoffiz, III, is an Arabic linguist.  He has established the
Arabic curriculum at
Oakland University, Rochester, Michigan, where he presently teaches
Arabic and
"Introduction to the Middle East".  He received the Ph.D. in Near
Eastern Studies
(Arabic Language & Linguistics), from the University of Arizona,
Tucson, AZ, USA.
He has also published a number of scholarly papers in both Arabic and
English, in
addition to translating and interpreting.

Table of Contents
I. Chapter One: Arabic Orthography (Alphabet and Vowel System)
II. Chapter Two: Reading, Writing & Pronunciation Exercises
III. Chapter Three: Texts and Dialogues (more than fifty units)
IV. Chapter Four: Grammar, Syntax & Morphology
V. Chapter Five: Reading Verb Conjugation, and Translation
   Activities & Exercises
VI. Chapter Six: Arabic Translation and Reading Activities & Exercises
VII. Chapter Seven:   Assessment and Evaluation: Sample Examinations

About this book
At last, the user-friendly Arabic textbook everyone has been hoping
to find!  For years, English-speaking learners of
all backgrounds have been searching for an easy-to-follow textbook to
introduce them to the Arabic language.  The
book begins from the earliest level through at least the sixth
semester, or third year, of Arabic study; therefore, choice
and latitude in terms of what should be covered is provided. The
included audio CD covers the alphabet and many of
the units in the third chapter.

Since all the material is activity-oriented, the student is urged to
use the first two chapters with the purpose of learning
the Arabic writing system.

As for the third chapter, its text and dialogue units cover a wide
range of topics and purposes.  There are verbal and
equational sentences, expressions and greetings, dialogues between
individuals in culturally-relevant settings, and
other material.  Business letters and modified news coverage are
included as well.   Many units provide vocabulary
lists or glossaries to assist the student.  The earlier units in
Chapter Three are basic and introductory.  Beginning with
Unit 34, the units advance into the second and third-year level.

Chapters Four-Six are grammatical and structural, with a wide range
of exercises and explanations.  Major points of
grammar are treated in the fourth chapter.  Translation is central to
chapters 5&6.  In the seventh chapter, dictations,
quizzes, and exams are provided.  This gives the student the
conceptual framework from which to base his/her study,
as it familiarizes the student with test format.

Although tests and quizzes are interspersed throughout this book,
chapter seven specifically deals with assessment
and evaluation in the form of sample test documents.  It lays out a
clear plan for testing, including dictations, minimal
pair activities, writing exercises, and grammar and translation.

“Arabic: Acquisition & Comprehension is an excellent book for anyone
wishing to study the Arabic language. The book is almost 500
pages and it is a great value for the price because it covers from
the beginner to the advance student.  Discs also accompany the
book which have REAL native speakers so you can practice your
pronunciation...  I have bought every book off Amazon about
teaching yourself the language and none of those books can help you
like Arabic: Acquisition & Comprehension can. You can go
along at your own pace, explains everything clearly and even has
practice tests!  —Lourdes Santiago

How to Purchase:

Visit: http://www.xanedu.com/copley/hoffiz.shtml   Call:
800-218-5971, option 5   Email: originalworks at xanedu.com
Trade paperback: 529 pages  ISBN: 1-59399-255-6    Price: $102.55
Arabic: Acquisition & Comprehension
by Benjamin T. Hoffiz, III, Ph.D.