Arabic-L:LING:Needs help with some lexical items from Horani Arabic

Thu Sep 20 22:28:07 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Needs help with some lexical items from Horani Arabic

Date: 20 Sep 2007
From:Alex Bellem <alex at bellem-hussein.demon.co.uk>
Subject:Needs help with some lexical items from Horani Arabic

Dear Colleagues,

Greetings from London, and ramadan mubarak.

I wonder if anyone can help with four lexical items given for Horani by
Cantineau (1946). The book is in French, but I have problems with these
4 items, since I'm not sure what the Arabic refers to (and am not sure
of the French in these particular instances).

They are (in translit, capital T = emphatic; 3 = pharyngeal 3ayn):

1) kaddaana - 'collier de trait'

2) gaTruuba / guTruba - 'clou fixant le soc a l'age' - a hook to fix the
plough to something (what?)

3) gulla - 'boulet' - does this mean cannonball? (gullaaya is a cooking
pot for clarifying butter, but this seems unrelated according to his
translation of it as 'boulet')

4) geme3ha - 'son de' - does this mean 'her thimble'? (from his
discussion of vowels, the 'e' vowels here are lexical 'i', i.e. gimi3)

I'd be very grateful if anyone can shed light on these.

Thanks in advance,
Alex.

--
Alex Bellem