Arabic-L:GEN:Arabic on Mac and Yamil

Tue Apr 1 17:31:33 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Arabic on Mac
2) Subject:Arabic on Mac
3) Subject:Yamil

Date: 01 Apr 2008
From:"Kamal AlEkhnawy" <kamal19 at aucegypt.edu>
Subject:Arabic on Mac

Dear all,
Since I started using Mac in 1992 to prepare materials for my classes,
there
has been a problem with Arabic script. If Arabic letters are connected
properly, you may face a problem with the word order.
However, those who have old Mac (bought before 07), they can use "Open
Office" software. It is totally free, and you can download it either
form
www.OpenOffice.org  or from www.download.com. It allows you use Word and
PowerPoint but may not support all Office product such as Access or
OneNote.

Those who have new Mac (2007 Mac or later), they can either get Open
Office
or use Windows operating system and install Office in their Mac. All
new Mac
computers support dual operating systems: Mac and Windows.
p.s.: all office products are fully Arabic enabled, and some of which
can be
useful for classroom activities. For example, I've used Office OneNote
in
some of my classes and found it very useful to engage/challenge my
class in
integrated interactive drills, i.e., you can ask your students to
respond,
simultaneously, either by speaking or typing in Arabic while they are
watching a clip.

Cheers,
Kamal AlEkhnawy
Head of Computer-Assisted Language Learning (CALL) unit
The American University in Cairo
Kamal19 at aucegypt.edu