Arabic-L:GEN:Arabic on Mac response

Mon Apr 7 20:09:44 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Arabic on Mac response

Date: 07 Apr 2008
From:Arabic on Mac response
Subject:Dil Parkinson <dil at byu.edu>

> A colleague of mine, a computer consultant at the Language Resource
> Center
> at Michigan University, told me that the problem with Arabic on
> MSOffice on
> the Mac is an Apple problem.  He said that his contacts at Apple have
> informed him that they have not found it to be worth their time to
> develop
> products for Arabic.  They might in the future, but it's not a
> priority.

I've had people tell me this as well, but I honestly don't see how it
could possibly be true, given that:
1- the Apple developed and otherwise very basic program Textedit works
fine with Arabic, allowing full bi-directionality
2- the Mail program works fine with Arabic, also allowing full bi-
directionality
3- other programs work more or less with Arabic, if not with full bi-
directionality, INCLUDING MS Excell, into which you can paste Arabic
text and it displays, lines up, and prints reasonably
4- Many other programs on the Mac work fine with Arabic, including
most browsers (inlcuding Apple's own Safari), Mellel, Nisus, Indesign
ME, etc.
5- ONLY MS Word actually 'eats' and destroys the Arabic that is in any
text you read into it, including Arabic from MS Word documents created
on the PC.  Other programs may not display things correctly, but they
don't actively destroy the Arabic.
6- Only Microsoft ships its Apple office products with a font that
automatically installs that actively WRECKS the Arabic on your
browsers, so that you have to do a search and destroy mission to
restore Arabic functionality whenever you install an MS program on
your computer.

It is actually true that when OS X first came out it did not provide
Arabic support, but that deficit was soon fixed, and has been fixed
for several years now.  There has been nothing for Microsoft to wait
for Apple to do for years.  Microsoft clearly know how to deal with
Arabic script and bi-directionality, since they do it in the same
product on a different platform, and clearly Apple is providing them
the resources to do it on the Mac.  They have simply decided they
won't do it.

IM(not so)HO

Dil